Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Other Duties As Assigned

So it's been a few days, quite a few in fact, and I'm sure you missed me. I'll be sure to update you about my fun weekend camping out with two of my favorite people int he next entry. First let me tell you about my week!

We got our new kiddos on Sunday and with the kids came the energy! Camp has become a very active place this We have kids with a huge variety and range of disabilities, from Autism to Downs Syndrome. It's been a blast getting to know these kids, but boy do the keep you running! Med pass is crazy as compared to last week. It gets a little busy in here during those couple of times during the day, but nothing we can't handle!

My heart goes out to every one of these kids, even the troublemakers. One little guy really reminds me of my brother Nicholas and it makes me miss all my brothers. He's the cutest little thing, with glasses that make his eyes look really big and he has to look up at you when he talks to keep the frames on his face. A lot of our kids are adopted, have one or both parents who have passed away, or just have a rough life at home. I want to hug them all the time, but mostly we just settle for high fives. We've already had quite a few homesick kids along with some who just love us so much that they create an ailment just to hang out in the Health Lodge.

Just like in K4 this past semester, the moments that really make me smile are when the kiddos remember/call me by my name. Yesterday one of the little boys int he cabin I was working with said, "Sarah, can you sleep with us tonight?" It just tugged at my heartstrings! It is moments like this that get me through the day--because the last two days I've been go go going for 12-13 hours straight!

There's a lot more to working in the Health Lodge than just passing meds, for those of you who wonder what I do all day. Every night we have to clean the whole Lodge, nearly top to bottom. We sweep and mop the floor and all eight rooms and disinfect EVERYTHING--door handles, sinks, light switches, chairs. It takes quite a while. There's also a fair bit of paperwork and filing to do every week along with lice checks and quick physicals on Sundays during check in. We also do lots of laundry here int he Lodge, which is especially fun for me, because unlike the machines at school where you just have to specify temperature and load size, the washer/dryers here are real world machines...and let me tell you, the first tie i went to do my own laundry I just about cried. Why on earth do we need so many different types of rinse cycles?! But the good news is I learn quickly and ask a lot of questions, thus:


So that's my week so far. We've care for a few cuts and scrapes, some headaches and homesickness, and of course, some athlete's foot. All in a day's work! I'm doing well, getting most of my sleep, trying to eat healthy, and going for a run when I can. I hope all is well with you!

~SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment